When the Port celebrated its 50th anniversary in 1957, its annual revenue was $7.8 million. Today, the Port's annual operating revenue is $446 million.
On December 9, 1907, the Los Angeles City Council created the Los Angeles Board of Harbor Commissioners, marking the official founding of the Port of Los Angeles; however, the first Board was appointed on March 10, 1908.
Construction of the Port's first container terminal cost $1.8 million in 1960. Today, that same terminal would cost $21 million to build.
The Port of Los Angeles employed approximately 500 people in 1957 and employs nearly twice the number of people today.
In 1907, the Port of Los Angeles handled $2 million worth of cargo. Today, the Port handles nearly $270 billion worth of cargo annually.
The Port handled 2 million tons of cargo in 1907, compared to 176 million metric revenue tons of cargo today.
The Port's top trading partner in 1907 was the Pacific Northwest region of the United States. Today, China is the Port's top trading partner.
The Port's first cargo tenant was the American-Hawaiian Steamship Company in 1914. Today, the Port has eight container terminals.
The first shipping line to lease container terminal space at the Port of Los Angeles was Matson Navigation Company.
The first containership to call at the Port of Los Angeles was the Hawaiian Merchant in August 1958. In 2015, CMA CGM's Benjamin Franklin made history with its visit to the Port of Los Angeles as the largest container ship to ever call at a North American seaport.
The container fee in 1977 (when first published in Port of Los Angeles Tariff No. 4) was $52.00 for a 20-foot container, compared to today's fee of $193.20 for a 20-foot container.
In the 1920s, more than 600,000 passengers set sail from the Port of Los Angeles to Catalina Island. Today, more than 10 million passengers have visited Catalina Island through the Port of Los Angeles.