APPLICATIONS NOW AVAILABLE FOR PORT OF LOS ANGELES
COMMUNITY INVESTMENT GRANT PROGRAM
Up to 1 Million in Grants to be Awarded; Grant Workshops to be Held
April 4 in Wilmington and April 5 in San Pedro
SAN PEDRO, Calif. – March 1, 2017 – Applications for the Port of Los Angeles Community Investment Grant Program for Fiscal Year 2017-18 are now available. Up to $1 million in grants will help support initiatives, programs and events benefiting the Los Angeles Harbor communities. Applications are due Monday, May 8 by 5:00 p.m.
Since 2014, the Community Investment Grant Program has funded 112 community events, programs and projects. Grants are awarded in three categories: small grants (under $5,000); medium grants ($5,001 - $99,999); and large grants ($100,000 and over). Included as part of the Port’s annual budget, grant funding is generated entirely from shipping and lease revenues, and not taxpayer-funded.
Grant Workshop Details
Interested applicants can attend grant workshops to learn more about the program and ask questions. The first will be held Tuesday, April 4, at 6:00 p.m. at Banning’s Landing Community Center at 100 E. Water St. in Wilmington. A second workshop will be held Wednesday, April 5 at 6:00 p.m. at the Port of Los Angeles Administration Building boardroom, 425 S. Palos Verdes Street in San Pedro.
Grant Award Criteria
Grant proposals must demonstrate that a program, project or event supports the goals of the Port Community Investment Grant program. These goals include:
- Promote the LA Waterfront in San Pedro and Wilmington as an active visitor-serving destination
- Promote the Port of Los Angeles, and the maritime-commerce and LA Waterfront-related jobs that the Port generates
- Address impacts of the Port of Los Angeles and maritime operations on surrounding communities, including health, aesthetic and environmental impacts
- Promote and implement sustainable practices for preservation and conservation of natural resources in the Port environment, including renewable energy, water, air, wildlife and biological resources at the Port
- Provide education, training and/or workforce development in the areas of:
- Shipping, fisheries, international trade and maritime industry
- Marine-related sciences and technology
- Port and maritime history
- Port and marine-related safety and emergency management
To apply for Port grants, organizations must be nonprofit with 501(c)(3) tax-exempt status. Funds awarded must be spent within the fiscal year granted (July 1, 2017 – June 30, 2018). A grant committee comprised of Port, City and community representatives will review and approve all grant applications. Grant recipient recommendations are expected to go to the Board of Harbor Commissioners for approval on June 15.
Click here to view and download the Community Investment Grant Program application. For additional information or questions, applicants may call the Port of Los Angeles Public Relations Division at (310) 732-3508.
The Port of Los Angeles is America’s premier port and has a strong commitment to developing innovatively strategic and sustainable operations that benefit Southern California’s economy and quality of life. North America’s leading seaport by container volume and cargo value, the Port of Los Angeles facilitated $272 billion in trade during 2016. San Pedro Bay port complex operations and commerce facilitate one in nine jobs in the five-county Southern California region.