2017 Summer Season of Great Events include Cars & Stripes Forever!®, First-ever L.A. Harbor CicLAvia, World’s Largest Lobster Festival and LA Fleet Week®
SAN PEDRO, Calif. – June 23, 2017– The Port of Los Angeles has released its summer schedule of events for the LA Waterfront, an increasingly popular destination for both local Southern Californians and out-of-area tourists. Last year, the Port reported 2 million visitors to the LA Waterfront, and predicts more visitors again this summer following the success of LA’s inaugural Fleet Week event over Labor Day weekend.
“The popularity of LA Waterfront attractions and events continues to grow year over year, as more and more people are discovering — or re-discovering — the area as a great place for events, dining, shopping and exploring,” said Gene Seroka, Executive Director of the Port of Los Angeles. “In a region that’s world-renowned for its summertime events and attractions, the LA Waterfront offers a tourism and cultural experience that you can’t find anywhere else in Southern California.”
Kicking off the summer line-up will be the 9th Annual Cars & Stripes Forever!® on Friday, June 30. Free to the public, this pre-Independence Day celebration will feature one of the area’s largest classic car shows, live bands, food trucks, a beer garden and end-of-evening fireworks at the foot of the Port’s iconic Vincent Thomas Bridge. The popular family event will be held at the Los Angeles Cruise Terminal Parking Lot & Promenade in San Pedro.
After its successful debut last summer, LA Fleet Week® returns the last week of August and over Labor Day Weekend. The LA Fleet Week celebration kicks off August 30 with an official Welcome Party in downtown San Pedro, followed by a four-day weekend of guided ship tours, military demonstrations, live entertainment and aircraft flyovers. On Labor Day morning, September 4, thousands of residents and military service members will also participate in the 9th Annual Conquer The Bridge fun race as part of the festivities. Visiting ships and tour reservations will be announced later in the summer. Visit lafleetweek.com for the latest updated event information.
Other summer event highlights include:
- 67th Annual John Olguin July 4th Spectacular – A Cabrillo Beach tradition, this annual fireworks show starts at 9 p.m. on Independence Day and is free to the public.
- Concert on the LA Waterfront – A special summertime concert is planned at the Wilmington Waterfront Park on Saturday, July 8, and will feature the Grandeza Mexicana Folk Ballet Company and Mariachi Las Colibri. The music starts at 6:30 p.m.
- Port of Los Angeles Lobster Festival – All are invited to the world’s largest lobster festival July 14-16. A Southern California tradition since 1999, the event will be held at the Battleship IOWA parking lot and feature fresh discount Maine lobster meals, free entertainment, live music, shopping and other culinary delights. Get tickets at lobsterfest.com.
- Port of Los Angeles Hosts Movie Nights in San Pedro & Wilmington – On Friday, August 4, at 7 p.m., the Port will host family movie nights with the showing of the Pixar classic “Finding Dory.” The film will be shown simultaneously in two locations: Crescent Avenue and Miner Street (across from CRAFTED at the Port of Los Angeles) in San Pedro and Wilmington Waterfront Park.
- CicLAvia – San Pedro Meets Wilmington – On Sunday, August 13, from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., streets along a route between San Pedro and Wilmington will be closed to vehicles and opened for Angelenos and visitors to bike, walk, skate, dance and play. Free to the public, and a first for the Los Angeles Harbor Area, this event turns the streets into an open space for all to enjoy. Details at ciclavia.org.
- Red Bull Global Rallycross – Scheduled this year for Saturday, October 14, this event in San Pedro’s outer harbor will feature some of the fastest and most exciting racing in motorsports.
For updated information and newly added events, visit lawaterfront.org. Or keep up with LA Waterfront on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest and Snapchat.
The LA Waterfront is a visitor-serving destination located in the Los Angeles Harbor area that includes more than 400 acres of property funded and maintained by the Port of Los Angeles. Featuring more than a dozen beautification and redevelopment projects utilizing open space with pedestrian promenades, walking paths, native landscaping, decorative lighting and scenic views, the LA Waterfront attracts hundreds of thousands of visitors annually.