Opportunities for the Public to Address the Board
Before reaching those portions of the agenda where Board action is requested, members of the public will be given an opportunity to address the Board on items of interest within the subject matter jurisdiction of the Board (general public comment). Thereafter, members of the public will be given an opportunity to address the Board on any item on the consent or regular agendas prior to or during the Board’s consideration of that item. The same opportunity will be given in open session regarding the closed session agenda prior to commencement of closed session. Members of the public who wish to speak during general public comment are to complete a speaker card so indicating. Members of the public who wish to speak regarding a particular agenda item(s) are to complete a speaker card(s) for each such item. Agendas for special meetings will permit the public to address particular agenda items even where the agenda does not include general public comment. Each speaker is allowed to speak up to 3 minutes per agenda item. The Presiding Officer shall, however, exercise discretion to determine whether such period of time should be reduced or extended based upon such factors as the length of the agenda or substance of the agenda items, the number of public comment speaker cards submitted, the need for the Board to conclude its business as expeditiously as is practicable, and whether the Board is at risk of losing a quorum, among other factors.
Upon request, non-English speakers will be granted additional speaking time for translation assistance.
If you request to distribute documents to the full Commission, please present the Board Secretary with twelve (12) copies.Otherwise, your materials will simply be added to the official meeting record. Requests to distribute literature to the general public attendees of the meeting shall be placed on a literature table outside the Boardroom during and until 30 minutes after the Board meeting.
Neighborhood Council Speaker Request Form Instructions
The City of Los Angeles Ordinance No. 184243 stipulates an opportunity for an approved Neighborhood Council representative to provide comments regarding the Neighborhood Council’s formal position on any matter itemized on the agenda for any Los Angeles Board of Commissioners meeting. As such, the Los Angeles Harbor Department developed a process for the Neighborhood Councils to file a formal position at a Board of Harbor Commission Meeting prior to submitting the documents to the City Clerk for official processing. In order to comply with Los Angeles Department of Neighborhood Empowerment procedure to file a Resolution, Motion or Community Impact Statement, please file with the City of Los Angeles City Clerk’s Office at https://cityclerk.lacity.org/cis/.
- To speak under “Report from the Neighborhood Council Representatives,” you must be the President of a Neighborhood Council or an approved Designee to file a Neighborhood Council Speaker Request Form. A Designee is an official Neighborhood Council member approved to file a Neighborhood Council Speaker Request Form by a quorum and vote of the Neighborhood Council.
- A Neighborhood Council’s formal position must be submitted in the form of a Resolution or Motion. A submitted Resolution or Motion is voted on and approved by a quorum of the Neighborhood Council.
- A Neighborhood Council is required to submit a Neighborhood Council Speaker Request Form (and attach an approved Resolution or Motion) in order to speak. It is strongly recommended that a Speaker Request Form be submitted 24 hours in advance of a Harbor Commission meeting.
How to Submit:
- Download, complete, print and sign the Neighborhood Council Speaker Request Form.
- Attach the Neighborhood Council Speaker Request Form with an approved Resolution or Motion on NC letterhead and email to [email protected]rg. (Neighborhood Council Representative will receive an email confirming receipt.)
- Deliver in person to the following address:
Los Angeles Harbor Department
425 S. Palos Verdes Street
San Pedro, CA 90731