PORT OF LOS ANGELES TO HOST
A SUMMER FULL OF FUN FAMILY EVENTS
Weekly Concerts, Fireworks and 34th Annual Taste in San Pedro Are Among
New Highlights of Summer Activities on the LA Waterfront
SAN PEDRO, Calif. — May 19, 2011 — From concerts to classic car shows, to festivals and fireworks, the Port of Los Angeles has planned an unprecedented numberof summer events this year to entertain and delight the entire family.
“We’ve got several new events in our Summer Calendar that provide even more opportunities for people near and far to explore and enjoy the LA Harbor area,” said Theresa Adams-Lopez, the Port’s Director of Public Relations. “With something for everyone,we’re looking forward to hosting visitors from up the street, across the region and around the world!”
Against the backdrop of huge ships navigating the Main Channel, the Port of Los Angeles – also known as America’s Port™ -- offers a one-of-a-kind venue for public events and activities that include:
- June 4th Grand Opening of the 30-acre Wilmington Waterfront Park – (Saturday, June 4, 10am–4pm). Don’t miss this exciting celebration as community members will join City and Port officials to dedicate L.A.’s newest park, located at Harry Bridges Boulevard between Figueroa Street and Avalon Boulevard. This grand opening celebration will feature entertainment, games, park tours and free lunch. The new park is approximately nine city blocks and nearly doubles the amount of existing public open space in Wilmington.
- Thursday Evening Concerts at the Fountain – (June 23 through September 8,7–9 pm). The Port’s first summer outdoor concert series will take place at Gateway Plaza Fanfare Fountain, California’s largest and most spectacular waterworks, located at Harbor Boulevard and Swinford Street just south of the Vincent Thomas Bridge in San Pedro. The free series will feature a different band and genre of music each week. Note: Concerts will not be held on San Pedro First Thursdays (July 7, August 4, September 1).
- 3rd Annual Cars & Stripes Forever! – (Friday, July 1, 5–11pm). Kicking off the July 4th weekend, this popular premier classic car show grows in attendance every year. It features hundreds of classic cars and motorcycles, live music, spectacular fountain shows, and a food and beer garden. Taking place at the Gateway Plaza Fanfare Fountain area at the entrance to the World Cruise Center, the event will include a 9 p.m. fireworks display to get everyone geared up for the July 4th weekend.
- L.A. Navy Week – (Wednesday, July 27 through Sunday, July 31.) This year, three Navy ships – including an aircraft carrier – will be in port and open to the public for tours. Specific tour times will be made available on www.portofla.org closer to the event dates.
- Taste in San Pedro at the Port of L.A. – (Friday, August 5, 6-10pm; Saturday, August 6, noon–9pm; Sunday, August 7, noon–7pm.) For the first time, “Taste in San Pedro” will be held on the LA Waterfront at South Harbor Boulevard and West 1st Street. This popular San Pedro event presented by the San Pedro Chamber of Commerce will feature food and fun from 30 local restaurants, wineries, breweries and merchants, as well as live music, craft booths and children’s activities.
- Port of Los Angeles Lobster Festival – (Friday, September 16, 5–11pm; Saturday, September 17, 11am–11pm; Sunday, September 18, 11am–7pm.) The world’s largest lobster festival – with a Guinness World Record to prove it – takes place at Ports O’ Call Village in San Pedro. With fresh Maine lobster meals flown in daily, “Lobsterfest” has been a South Bay tradition since 1999. The event includes live music, games, rides, and all kinds of food and fun for the entire family. Look for more details at www.lobsterfest.com.
Periodic updates on all events will be posted at www.portofla.org under the “Summer at the Port” icon.
The Port of Los Angeles – A cleaner port. A brighter future.